Find out whether therapy or surgery is a better option for your back pain.
Chronic back pain is extraordinarily debilitating and can abruptly put an end to everyday tasks that many of us take for granted. No one should have to live with back pain like this. But can you find relief with less aggressive methods for pain management, such as medication and therapy? Or is surgery your only hope? Here are some points to consider:
Every person's back pain is unique.
It is important to remember that the cause of your back pain and how it physically affects you is unique. Even if it is a common condition, some people experience or cope with pain differently than others. Common causes for back pain include:
- Bone fracture
- Herniated disc
- Spinal stenosis
Try less aggressive methods first.
Before surgery is ever considered, many physicians aim to treat back pain with less invasive methods. These methods include:
- Rest. A patient may be encouraged to rest the back for a short period of time so that any muscle damage has time to heal.
- Medication. A course of treatment may aim to relieve pain or reduce muscle spasms.
- Physical therapy. Patients are taught to use specific exercises that are designed to build muscle strength around the spine and reduce strain on the problem area.
- Education. It is important that patients understand which activities or movements may increase back pain or worsen a specific condition.
- Psychological therapy. Patients are taught ways to relax the body or decrease any causes for anxiety that may affect muscle pain or spasms.
When to consider surgery.
There are many types of surgical treatments used to relieve back pain, and some are more invasive than others. Your physician may recommend some type of back surgery if:
- Back pain causes incontinence or leg weakness. These are signs of an emergency condition and usually require immediate surgery.
- Less aggressive methods are not providing any relief.
- Back pain is worsening, even after trying less aggressive methods for pain relief.
- Back pain significantly interrupts daily activities over a long period of time.
North Hills Hospital can offer you relief.
Here at North Hills hospital, our spine surgery program carefully diagnoses and treats your specific condition. Our Therapy Services can help reduce your back pain by offering the least invasive methods of treatment first. For patients who do require surgery, we offer a number of microscopic and minimally invasive spine procedures to bring our patients relief.
Would you like to meet with a back specialist to determine the best course of action for you? Call 1-855-5NHILLS for a physician referral.