At North Hills Hospital, our entire campus is smoke-free. That means that you don’t have to walk through clouds of smoke on your way to doctor’s visit, or to go visit a loved one. We chose to go smoke-free back in 2007 because we felt it was the right thing to do for our patients, visitors, and staff. Here’s some smoking facts from the CDC:
- Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Cigarette smoking causes about 1 in 5 deaths in the U.S. annually, or about 443,000 deaths per year.
- Secondhand smoke exposure causes an estimated 49,000 deaths annually.
- Non-smokers typically live 13-14 years longer than smokers.
- For every person who dies of a smoking-related disease, 20 more people suffer with at least one serious illness caused by smoking.
There’s many resources out there to help you quit. Here are a few: