Learn more about the benefits and importance of hand therapy
Chances are you used your hands to click open this blog post. In fact, your hands have probably been hard at work all day accessing information on the computer, tackling daily chores and assisting with almost every single thing that you do. We know the importance of caring for hands, and here at North Hills Hospital, we offer hand therapy for a number of debilitating conditions.
In honor of Healthy Hands Week, Heidi Hutchings, an occupational therapist and certified hand therapist at North Hills Hospital, has shared five interesting facts about hand therapy.
Did you know …
1. Hand therapy treats upper extremity disorders including:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Fractures of the upper extremity
- Trigger fingers
- Trauma to tendons
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Boutonniere deformity
- Nerve compression syndromes (tennis elbow, golfers elbow, cubital tunnel, carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Amputations and replantations
- Birth defects
- Rotator cuff disorders
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
2. A CHT is a certified hand therapist, and each therapist must have 4,000 hours of experience with treating upper extremity (shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand) diagnosis. Therapists must also pass an extensive examination process.
3. There are only 5400 CHTs in the world.
4. Hand surgeons refer patients to CHTs because they have specialized knowledge about the complex nature of the anatomy in the hand and upper extremities. They also know which repeated therapies and exercises can effectively treat various conditions.
5. Along with hand therapy, North Hills Hospital offers patients physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech / swallowing therapy and wound care. As a result, a comprehensive plan for hand care and recovery can be created for each patient's individual condition.
For more information about our inpatient and outpatient hand therapy services, contact us at (817) 255-1672. For a physician referral at North Hills Hospital, please call 1-855-5NHILLS.